Monday, March 25, 2013

Comparisons and Contrast

 

I just finished reading a couple books relating to the Arizona Dept of Corrections.  The first was "Wilderness and Razor Wire" by Ken Lamberton.  He was a teacher in Tucson who was arrested for a sex crime that landed him in prison for 12 years.  The second was "Crossing The Yard" by Richard Shelton, who served as a volunteer teaching creative writing workshops in the Arizona prison system for some 30 years.  Ironically, Lamberton was one of his students.  So obviously, I did some reflecting on the similarities and differences to my own situation and also pondered their thoughts and observations.
I'll start with Lamberton.  Obviously, the whole situation is similar to my own.  His crime was also heavily publicized by the media, and he's gone through many similar experiences as an" ex teacher sex offender." Like myself, he has a strong connection to nature, and much of this book is about plants and animals he observed in his Tucson prison yard.  Obviously, we both have a strong desire to write as an "escape" from confinement.
Lamberton also has a similar outlook on prison to my own.  He writes about " easy time" vs " hard time".  Easy time is retreating from emotions and connections as well as ignoring or resisting one's personal responsibility for one's actions.  Hard time is staring it straight in the face and not blaming others, or the state, as many tend to do.  I acknowledge my tendency to do that at times, though I am questioning policies and attitudes of the system, rather than it being the state's fault that I'm here.  Lamberton and Shelton both share my sentiments on the nonexistent notion of correction or rehabilitation.
Lamberton writes: "It is the difference between discipline and punishment: one looks forward and works toward restoration and health, the other looks backward and tears down, dehumanizes, destroys." It's clear to us both which method the ADC subscribes to.
Shelton, as an observer outside of confinement, had this to say: "it made me increasingly aware of how little the department of corrections cared about programs, rehabilitation, or any of the other fine phrases that were still part of their public rhetoric...  I was reminded, if I hadn't learned the lesson earlier at Florence, that  as far as the department of corrections was concerned, volunteers were shit and educational programs, even those bring their own funding and making the prison look good, were of no importance.  The fewer of them the better."
There are also some big differences between Lamberton's situation and my own.  He had an affair with a 14 year old student, in fact they ran away together.  I never acted on my inappropriate attractions, other than to download pictures.  Another difference, very painful to me, is that not only did his wife not turn him into the police (he was identified by an acquaintance in Colorado), she stayed with him and studied law and worked with the lawyers to get him out after eight years.  She ended up getting hired as a paralegal with the firm she was working with.
Incredibly though, after 18 months of being out, the Arizona Court of Appeals reversed the lower court's decision and he had to return to prison for four more years.
Then, there are situational differences that clearly illustrate the direction of the ADC.  Lamberton wrote about the inmate park and a visitor park, both full of plants and the occasional wildlife.  He caught toads with his kids in visitation.  He wrote about sitting under a tree, playing his guitar, and the 75 pound packages of food that were sent to inmates by their families at holiday time.  There is nothing like this in my incarceration.  I was envious of his "posh" situation.
Then later in the book, as time passes, the trees, plants, and flowers get torn up and the "Parks" get shut down.  The Food Care packages are prohibited, and eventually all sex offenders are declared to be a predatory security threat and cannot go "below" medium security yards.
For a short time he was in my complex, but managed, with the help of his wife, to get shipped back to Tucson, an option no longer available to sex offenders.
I think it might even be worse to have those privileges and lose them, though that DOC continues to chip away at the few privileges that remain.  The all day "food visits" were recently limited to 4 hours.  The list of "acceptable" books and magazines are shrinking exponentially and lock downs and strip searches are more numerous and more thorough.
I realize, of course, there's no purpose in comparing my situation to anyone else's.  Each is unique.  Lamberton's wife is certainly not Jess.  That I think my actions were far less directed toward her or anyone is irrelevant.  Did I hurt her any less?  My situation is my own, and it matters little what I believe about it.
I do get some satisfaction in knowing that both Lamberton and Shelton have made similar observations to my own.  Especially as Shelton was not an inmate, it adds a bit more credibility to my own sentiments that he is not merely whining about his own predicament.  Shelton ends his book with some powerful ideas and suggestions toward the prison system as an entity.
" Over the years, I have grown old while the system spins more and more rapidly out of control, an industry that depends for its energy on the processing of living bodies." He dryly quips about how the "product" of the penal system is a rare recyclable product, and that true treatment programs would reduce the recyclable nature of the product, which is not in the interest of the industry.
He notes, and I wholeheartedly concur, that a fraction of the number of inmates could and should be incarcerated - but in a secure mental hospital, as there are those who are criminally insane and dangerous to society.  But that the majority are neither.
Shelton advocates for people to step up and volunteer at local prisons, to see the real story behind the walls and fences.  Though the institution will resist any attempts at transparency, nevertheless, it's promising to read intelligent published literature on this topic; I thought I'd better grab these books before they are banned as well.
I encourage you to read them and other resources that are based on direct observation or objective data as opposed to media sensationalism or fear mongering political agendas.  Someday, that could be you or someone you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment