Wednesday, August 20, 2014

The Greatest Symphony

My kids were with my siblings this past week, as their mom was off hiking someplace, so I took advantage of an opportunity to call them.  I was unable to get through to my sister, so I tried my brother.  He answered the phone and there was a cacophony of background noise.  He whispered into his phone "I can't really talk, but listen to this.  It's your son!"

I then heard the music, it was his elementary school band.  The sound reproduction was not of the highest caliber, but I could clearly hear the tune.  It was reminiscent of some John Phillips Sousa Marches.  I had a flashback to days of my youth, riding the carousel at one of the parks in my hometown.  They played three pieces that I heard, and the concert was finished.  My brother agreed with my assertion of the carousel music, the last piece most certainly was played on the merry go round, we decided.

The music sounded like it was coming through a tin can, and I suppose it was.  But to me, it was the most glorious symphony I have ever heard!

My son made his way to the phone before my 15 minutes were up.  I told him how awesome they sounded, and he wholeheartedly agreed. 

"I wish you could have been here, Dad," he said, with sincere conviction in his voice.  "Me too, son" I replied as the phone cut us off.

I've missed so many things with my kids because of my incarceration, and it hurts far beyond words.  But for a few minutes, on a random Tuesday evening, I was there, and the world was right if only for a moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment